Friday, March 14, 2008

Remembering distant family


We visited my sister Maria, her husband Danny, and her Children Lydia & Michael in Feb 2008. I had not seen her since June 2005. Maria had been offered a Job in Scotland and the family immigrated there for a couple of years. Her two children are the same ages as mine and were under 3 & 1 when they had last seen each other. They returned to Sydney a year ago and I had not had a chance to visit till now.
I remember Sienna saying, of the trip, "who are they people mummy?" To which I replied: "my sister like Juliana is to you and her family like our family". I showed her some photo's because Maria was good at using technology to keep us updated, but Sienna was not satisfied. "But what do they sound like?" she asked.
As to the sound, I am going to explore what I can do to better capture the sounds we hear and peoples voices and link them to digital layouts as well as burn to CD for conventional layouts. I am a more visual (see) and kinesthetic (feel) person and that has been driving my conventional and digital layouts, but I need to appeal to people who are auditory (hear) and give them the opportunities to experience what is being shown in the layout.
Well Sienna got to see and hear them and enjoyed the interaction. This photo was taken when the 3 younger children went to the Blue Mountains while Lydia was at school. I love the layout because it represents to me the fractures that happen in the images of our mind as time passes. I have overlayed the photo to show the faces more clearly because although the environment is great to remember it is the faces we need to remember.

No comments: