Friday, March 14, 2008

BOOK review: To Our Children's Children

To Our Children's Children: Preserving Family Histories for Generations to Come
http://www.amazon.com/Our-Childrens-Children-Book/dp/0385467974

I bought this book several years ago when I started looking at compiling childhood memories for my parent's 30th (1995) wedding anniversary present. My sisters and I complied stories and interwove photo's to illustrate these. I never knew anything about scrapbooking back then.

Having Nan stay brought back to me how useful this book is in jogging people's memories of the past. Just think about this question regarding the home you grew up in: Can you remember the view out of any of your windows? What did you look out on?

I remember the bush outside my bedroom door - not sure what it was called - but do remember it blocked a lot of the light, but it also stopped people from invading the house through that window at least. Growing up in a remote township in South Africa was fearful at times and this provided some relief. I recall enjoying climbing out of the window and hiding in the bush when we were playing hide-and-seek. I might just start using these questions in my Moment to Remember blog to start collecting the memories of our family growing up.

This also brings me to a decision to document everyday things more as well, why not have a layout that shows what the view from the kitchen window was like. Nan told me that her mother would look out her kitchen window over to the school and could see the children in the playground, how quaint. Interesting that this is an abiding memory for an old lady.

This book has questions about most aspects of life, childhood, school, parenthood, romance, etc

Bob Greene also has the Journal to accompany this book:
To Our Children's Children Journal of Family Memories
http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Children-Journal-Family-Memories/dp/038549064X

No comments: